Today’s guest is Ernie Baca – the host of the YouTube channel “Retired Life in Mexico NO BULL” – who came on a few weeks ago in episode 246 to talk about his experiences living in Mexico and beating cancer in Mexico. If you haven’t heard that episode, I highly suggest you go back and listen. It was unbelievable.
Today Ernie is back to talk a bit about his work in law enforcement, specifically in Latin America, and some of the safety concerns, tips and tricks, and anything to do with safety and security in Latin America.
TODAY’S CONVERSATION WITH ERNIE BACA
- Listen to Ernie detail his extensive background in law enforcement, including working on HUGE cases that you’ve absolutely heard of, including John Gotti and Timothy McVeigh!
- Ernie explains what he means by the phrase “security is an illusion” – and how you can use that knowledge to understand your own security situation better.
- Hear Ernie unveils his security philosophy of mitigating risk. How can you find the balance to understand the reality of the situation best and assess your personal security situation?
- Ernie describes how obtaining only partial information, whether from national news – or, in Ernie’s case, security reports – can lead to a skewed view of the security situation in a given area.
- Ernie and I discuss the concept of situational awareness – how to use your knowledge and the knowledge of others to assess the level of security you need in any given time and place.
- Ernie lays out some very simple rules for travelling, using the examples of Mexico and Brazil. Follow these tips, and you will more than likely be safe and sound wherever you go.
- Ernie and I discuss more of the little steps we take to “stack” security in our lives and turn situational awareness into a habit. Ultimately, it all comes down to taking personal responsibility.
- Ernie and I trade personal stories about various security-related situations and how situational awareness – or lack thereof – drastically altered the course of events.
- Ernie also reveals his ultimate trick for avoiding a bad situation – learning to trust your instinct. Learn from one of the absolute best in this episode.
HOW TO FIND ERNIE BACA’S WORK
Ernie has extensive experience with the security situation in a number of Latin American countries that are very popular with expats as well, so I had to have him back to dive deeper into the subject. Ernie and I have a lot in common when it comes to our approach to this issue, so I know you’ll get a ton of value out of it as well.